"In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
There are many immediate, small actions that have an impact. Here are some suggestions for things you can do right now to start making a difference.
- Use a clothesline whenever the weather allows
- Use high-efficiency light bulbs like compact fluorescents
- Wear a sweater/sweatshirt in the house during the winter instead of turning up your thermostat.
- Use a broom or a rake instead of a leaf blower
- Use canvas (or other reusable) bags when you go to the grocery store
- Buy locally grown or produced foods
- Buy organic foods
- Support your local food cooperative
- Use organic methods in your yard and garden
- Compost your organic waste and use the product to build the soil in your garden and flower beds
- For the ultimate in local food get a plot at your community garden and grow your own!
- Carpool whenever you can
- Ride your bike to run errands or for your commute to work as weather allows
- Use our public transportation (yes, it exists!) when possible
- Shop for and donate gently used clothing and household items at your local thrift stores
- Recycle newspaper, magazines, paper, aluminum, etc.
- Recycle computers and monitors, televisions, printers, scanners, etc.